“Fall back” in Brookhaven this Sunday
Time to check clocks and smoke detector batteries
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Brookhaven, GA, Nov. 3, 2017 –The City of Brookhaven reminds all residents that Daylight Saving Time ends Sunday, Nov. 5, at 2 a.m. when clocks move back one hour to 1 a.m. This is also a prime opportunity to plan for safety.
“This is the time that families should check the batteries in their smoke alarms to make sure they are in good working order, but there is a lot more to consider to ensure household safety preparedness,” said Brookhaven Emergency Management Coordinator Paul White. “This is a good time to prepare for winter weather. Our region gets some of its coldest conditions with ice and freezing rain in December, January and February.”
Brookhaven encourages all residents to take additional precautions this weekend while adjusting to Eastern Standard Time:
- Purchase or restock a home emergency supply kit, which should include first aid supplies, non-perishable can goods, battery operated radio, prescription medicine, Sterno canned heat, disposable eating utensils, and water purification tablets.
- Have personal cell phones and devices configured for automatic weather alerts.
- Check for extra flashlight and lantern batteries.
- Be sure to have a NOAA weather radio on hand for 24/7 updates on severe weather alerts.
- Insulate water heater and pipes, especially external spigots.
- Replace HVAC system filters.
- Have a supply of rock salt or similar melting product on hand for driveways in case of an icing event.
More information about severe weather conditions can be found at the National Weather Service website at: https://www.weather.gov/ffc/svrclimo. More information about home emergency supply kits can be found at the Department of Homeland Security website at: https://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit.
Director of Communications
Ann Marie Quill